Okay, technically I received this award on Tuesday. But what the hey, “winning Wednesday” sound just so much more … COOL. So, here we go.
First off, many thanks to Archon’s Den (www.archonsden.wordpress.com). While I haven’t spent much time on his blog, our paths have crossed many times elsewhere, and I consider him one of the true gentlemen and “elder statesmen” (no age insult intended) of the blogosphere. Please drop by and enjoy.
Second off, the rules. I need to tell the world (or at least you few brave souls here) five things about myself that nobody knows. Hmm. Since I’ve been rather, shall we say, “transparent” with my life online, that’s a bit of a challenge. So let’s see…..
1) Growing up, I always wanted to live in the country. WAY out. Like in the middle of the Rocky Mountains. Having gotten that wish unwillingly granted (except for the mountains part), I now realise I need concrete under my feet, or my sanity slowly vanishes. Now you know why I am the way I am!
2) I have been in two fist fights in my entire life – one was a draw, one was a total loss. I am NOT a fighter. My self-deprecating sense of humour is my defence mechanism – I figured out quickly that if I got to insulting me first, the bullies laughed, rather than pounding me.
3) Despite all my tales, I’m only a relatively-recent “gearhead”. Before I went to purchase my first car (A 1987 Cavalier Z-24 that I still have to this day), I was actually rather blase about cars. My dad taught me maintenance, but that was it. It was reading up on all the various choices available that got me very interested in cars in general.
4) I cannot dance. Period. I can move fairly well to music, but only if I have an instrument (usually a guitar) in my hands. We didn’t even have any dancing at our wedding. If I have to move my arms on their own, it looks like I’m having a major spaz attack. Trust me – it ain’t pretty!
5) I was well on my way to replacing Steve Carrell in “The 40-Year-Old Virgin” – I was WAY too close to 30 before my luck changed. My high school and college love life was non-existent – not even dates. I was “the friend”, the guy whose shoulder broken-hearted girls cried on, before they moved onto their next Neanderthal boyfriend.
Okay, now that you’re all contemplating a shower (or a mind-wipe), on to the 5 people I need to nominate. The problem is, much like Archon stated, everybody I follow has pretty much suffered .. er .. enjoyed the limelight of one of these type of awards. The three gents I named in my early “Tributes” post ALWAYS deserve a drop-by. I won’t force this award on any one, but a couple offbeat ideas are:
1) Andreas Moser, The Happy Hermit. (andreasmoser.wordpress.com) A man on a mission to live EVERYWHERE! Seriously, a very eclectic individual, learning about European countries by living in them. A voracious intellect with a rapier wit and a razor-keen sense of observation and, where deserved, sarcasm. And a darn good photographer to boot!
2) Lori Volkman, at wittylittlesecret.wordpress.com. As most of you know, I am a strong supporter of our Armed Forces personnel. The single most under-reported story concerning our armed forces (IMHO) is the story of their families, and especially the military spouses, trying to run a “normal” family life while supporting a deployed spouse. Lori writes about these day-to-day challenges. Tell her I sent you – it’ll make up for my following her, and annoying her, in my inimitable fashion.
3) Dave, at roaddave.wordpress.com. A Canuck (and you all know how I love my Canucks!) who doesn’t post anywhere NEAR as often as I wish he did, but when he does, his posts are insightful, highly relevant, and frequently hilarious. He also deploys his alter-ego Mason, a Newfie (that’s a Canadian redneck, near as I can figure), who will keep you in stitches with his sports reporting and political rants.
4) Colton Long, at allmendream.wordpress.com. A very wise and ancient spirit in a young punk’s body. All the best of both worlds, with none of the bad. Well, most of the time, anyway. DON’T tell him I sent you, you’ll do FAR better! 😉 (What the heck, tell him anyway. It’ll scare the socks off him!)
5) The Fight Against Stupidity and Bureaucracy, at fasab.wordpress.com. A very prolific provider of many and varied bits of arcane knowledge, mixed with hilarious quiz show answers and even more bizarre questions. Even if you don’t have the time to comment, just stop by and I guarantee you enlightenment – or at least, strange tidbits of totally useless knowledge.
Well, that should do it. Once again, many thanks to Archon for awarding me my first blog prize, and my continued gratitude to all who follow me. Without you, well, I’d STILL be talking to myself, only there’d be no permanent record of it! 😀